The Alberta College and Association of Opticians works hard to serve our members and provide them with beneficial tools and resources. Although the ACAO is mandated to protect the public under the Health Professions Act (HPA), the ACAO strives to provide other benefits to membership beyond just licensing fees and regulation. The ACAO has partnerships that give our members exclusive perks and access to tools that help build the profession. Acting as your Association, the ACAO wants to ensure your needs as Alberta Opticians are met.
What do you get for being a member of the ACAO?
As a member of the Alberta College and Association of Opticians, you have access to the TD Insurance Meloche Monnex program. This means you can get preferred insurance rates on a wide range of home and car coverage that can be customized for your needs.
Here are some benefits of joining TD:
- Get a discount when you bundle car and home insurance
- Get the coverage that’s right for you
- Take the TD Right Fit Coverage Assessment for home or auto
- 24/7 claims support
- Their claims team is available around-the-clock to assist you through the claims process
Errors and Omissions Insurance
NEW! ACAO is pleased to announce a new and exclusive member insurance program for Opticians in Alberta. More information can be found here.
The ACAO Liability Insurance Program, brokered by BMS Canada Risk Services Ltd. (BMS) offers comprehensive insurance coverage at a competitive price that meets and exceeds all provincial requirements.
Apply for Coverage
The ACAO has partnered with ARTA, a voluntary Retiree Benefits Plan. ARTA Retiree Benefits Plan offers options for different levels of coverage, these options provide the freedom to select the coverage level that’s right for members and their families.
Here are some of the benefits of joining ARTA:
- Advantage member discount program
- Special partner discounts; travel, home & auto insurance and life insurance
- Regular communication to members regarding pertinent retiree topics (quarterly glossy magazine, e-newsletter, website, social media etc.)
- For more information click here
Free Continuing Education Courses
- Each member of the ACAO has access to our online Moodle courses
- There are currently 15 free courses for credit on Moodle
- There are currently 5 free games on Moodle as an interactive way to enhance your knowledge
- For more information on Moodle click here
- To login to your Moodle account click here
Here is what you can find on our social media pages:
- Facebook: Get access to College news and updates, reminders, monthly contests for members, science news and current events, and health and wellness tips.
- LinkedIn: Connect with other professionals
- YouTube: Our playlists cover a variety of topics, such as edging, optical calculations, keratometry, biomicroscopy, radiuscope, and dry eye.
- Job Board/Classifieds
Looking for employment? You can find employers looking to hire on our Employment Ads page
- For Sale
Looking to buy or sell Optical related items? You can post or buy items on our For Sale page
Want to volunteer your time, but not sure what you’d like to help with? New volunteer opportunities are constantly arising at the ACAO! Visit our volunteer page for more details. To submit a volunteer application form click here.
Areas of opportunity include:
- Hearing Tribunal Member
- Student Mentor
- Committee Member
- PLAR Interviewer
- NACOR Examiner
- Field Supervisor