Transition to the College of Opticians of Alberta
On January 1, 2022, the Alberta College and Association of Opticians (ACAO) will formally become the College of Opticians of Alberta (COA). It is an exciting time for our organization as we streamline our operations to focus on a sole mandate to protect the Alberta public.
Bill 46 introduced by the Government of Alberta in December 2020 requires all dual-mandate health colleges and associations to separate. Opticians in Alberta will continue to be licensed and regulated by the COA, but all association-specific activities will be discontinued. Click here to learn more.
Click below to find a registered optician offering services in your region.
ACAO – Your Vision, Our Focus
The Alberta College and Association of Opticians (ACAO) serves both the public and our members. We regulate opticians in the province of Alberta under the Health Professions Act. We also provide continuing education opportunities, seminars, events, and more to our members.
Regulated Health Professionals
The title “Optician” is protected in Alberta, which means that it is illegal to practice as an optician unless you are licensed. Opticians must keep up with continuing competency requirements in order to stay licensed. To keep the public safe, we ensure that our members maintain their skills!
- Notice: 2022 RenewalIn Notices
- Bill 46: Separation of College and AssociationIn Notices
- Notice: NEW PLI ProgramIn Notices
- Notices: Bill 30 Increased Public Participation In Professional RegulationIn Notices
- Employment Ad: Garage OpticalIn Employment Ads, Northern Alberta
- Employment Ad: Lakeland Family EyecareIn Employment Ads, Northern Alberta
- NOTICE: Council Meeting Dates 2022In Notices
- Employment Ad: Health First OptometryIn Employment Ads, Southern Alberta
- Notice: Research SurveyIn Notices