Annual General Meeting
Well another AGM event was presented on May 6, 2018 at Chateau Louis Hotel and Conference Centre. Most of the feedback we received was pretty positive. We’d like to thank the all the speakers for taking the time to come and present to our members. Below is a list of the speakers along with copies of their presentations/handouts which they’ve so kindly made available to our Opticians.
- Shay Gornshtein: Positioning Opticians as Healthcare Practitioners – View Presentation
- Rachel Hayward: Health Information Act 101: A Primer on Opticians’ Responsibilities under the Law – View Presentation
- Greg Sim: Trends in Professional Regulation – View Presentation
- Maureen Hussey: Happenings at the Alberta College and Association of Opticians – View Presentation
- Marian Stuffco: Taking first step together – Exploring Unmet Health Needs of LGBTQ Albertan’s – View links below
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Electronic Medical Records and Transgender patient
- Recommendations from the World Professional Association for Transgender Health EMR Working Group
- Meeting the Needs of Transgender Patients: Medical Informaticists Work Through EHR Challenges
- Challenges in Transgender Healthcare: The Pathology Perspective
We would like to thank all of the candidates that ran this year for Council. This was a record year for the number of candidates (six). Three candidates were voted in and will each serve a three year term 2018-2021.
Our sincerest congratulations goes to:
- Gene Kerns (incumbent)
- Udo Hanebaum
- Janet Sochatsky
Some of the documents that were reviewed at the AGM are below for your reference.
- Council Reports
- 2017 Audited Financial Statements
- Bylaw Amendments
- Standard of Practice
- TD Insurance Meloche Monnex – Major Sponsor
- Essilor – Cecil Oxebury Memorial Scholarship Award Sponsor
- NAIT Optical Sciences – Breakfast Sponsor
- IRIS The Visual Group – Second Year Optical Sciences Award Sponsor
Thank you to our sponsors.
The student awards were presented at the AGM to Jessica O’Rourke, Mojdeh Ghayour, AaronTrieu and Stephanie Swan. We’d like to extend our thanks to John Nesbitt from Essilor Group for attending our event to present Jessica’s award.
Congratulations to the students for all your work.
- Jessica O’Rourke – Justin Holmes Memorial Scholarship for Highest Achievement on Practical Licensing Exam Ophthalmic Dispensing
- Corrine Grant – Cecil Oxenbury Memorial Scholarship Award for Highest Achievement on Practical Licensing Exam for Contact Lens
- Mojdeh Ghayour – Stan Souch Award for Highest Achievement Year One Optical Sciences NAIT
- Aaron Trieu – Highest Achievement Second Year Optical Sciences NAIT
- Stephanie Swan – Highest Achievement of Advanced Practice Contact Lens Program NAIT